The scene at the Valley Ho Hotel in Scottsdale may look a little different than usual this weekend when the Arizona Tiki Oasis comes to town. The four-day celebration of all things Polynesian, tropical and mid-century modern will take over the boutique hotel, filling it with visitors from all over the country and more events than you can imagine. I wanna go? This is what you need to know.
When and where is Arizona Tiki Oasis happening?
Arizona Tiki Oasis will take place Thursday, April 28 through Sunday, May 1 at the Valley Ho Hotel, 6850 East Main Street, Scottsdale.
It depends on what you want to do. The vendor’s market, held from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays, is free (and offers a great way to people-watch). The Tiki-Tiki-Ho-Ho Luau, which takes place on Fridays at 7 pm, costs $139 per person. All seminars have individual ticket prices ranging from free to $50.
How do I buy tickets?
How is the parking?
Parking is limited, especially during market hours. There are some free self-parking lots available, but it may be easier to valet park or park nearby and grab a Lyft or Uber.
What should I wear?
Whatever you’re into, you won’t feel out of place in regular clothes, but this is the perfect time to break out the ruffled dresses, Hawaiian print shirts, or whatever else you’ve got that’s mid-century or tropical. Just keep the necessary parts covered, as children may be around.
So can I bring the kids?
All ages are welcome at Arizona Tiki Oasis, but there are certain nightly and cocktail-themed events that are only open to those 21 and older.
What should I do there?
The Arizona Tiki Oasis calendar is packed with events Friday through Sunday. Here are some of our recommended picks. Please note that seminars may sell out; all of our recommendations had tickets available at the time of publication.
• Agave Liqueurs in Tropical Cocktails: Join mixologist Adam Rains for a lesson on Agave Spirits 101, a discussion of the how and why of tequila in tiki, and examples of agave spirits in classic tiki drinks. (1:30 p.m. Friday, $50)
• Arizona Tiki Oasis 2022 Battle of the Bartenders: Come see some of Arizona’s best bartenders compete in a cocktail party. Sample some of the best and most innovative tropical cocktails as you cheer on your champion mixologist. (2 p.m. Saturday, $40)
• Tropical Conscious: A conversation about how to celebrate tropical culture without appropriating it. The focus will be on how to be an ally, the three main regions of Oceania (Micronesia, Melanesia and Polynesia), iconography and how to diversify your diet. (3 p.m. Saturday, free)
• Desert Soiree Art Show: Tiki-themed works by nearly two dozen artists. (10 am to 4 pm from Friday to Sunday, free)
• From voodoo to vampires: Collector Pam Ashlund will discuss the long, sordid and fascinating history of swizzle sticks. (11 a.m. Saturday, $15)
• Rudi Gernreich — Beyond the topless swimsuit: Whether or not you’ve seen last year’s fascinating exhibit of groundbreaking fashion designer Rudi Gernreich’s work at the Phoenix Art Museum, you shouldn’t miss this lecture on style icon from collector and curator Audrey Moorehead. (2 p.m. Friday, $15)
• Save the neon: the fight to keep its glow alive: Jay Mark will explore the history of neon, from the discovery of the fifth most abundant gas in the universe, to its emergence as a powerful and colorful advertising tool, and from its near disappearance to the rebirth of this once-dead art. (10 a.m. Saturday, $15)