Wimbledon: ATP and WTA remove Grand Slam ranking points over ban on Russians and Belarusians

World number one Novak Djokovic, who won the men’s title last year, will lose 2,000 ranking points if none are awarded this year; he is currently 680 ahead of Russian player Daniil Medvedev.

Players will not receive ranking points at Wimbledon following the decision to ban Russian and Belarusian competitors from the tournament.

Players from the countries have been banned by the All England Lawn Tennis Club from all UK grass court events following the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

However, events outside of Wimbledon, such as Queen’s and Eastbourne, Keep your ranking points.

“It is with great regret and reluctance that we see no option,” the ATP said.

The WTA said it was a “difficult decision”.

The International Tennis Federation (ITF) will not award ranking points in the junior and wheelchair events at Wimbledon, which starts on June 27.

“The stance we’re taking is about protecting the equal opportunity that WTA players should have to compete as individuals,” added the WTA, the women’s governing body.

“If we don’t take this stance, then we abandon our founding principle and allow the WTA to become an example to support nationality-based discrimination at other events and in other regions of the world.”

The ATP decision means Serbian Novak Djokovic, the defending men’s champion, will lose his status as world number one.

Djokovic, a six-time All England Club champion, will not be able to retain the 2,000 ranking points he earned by winning the title last year and is just 680 ahead of his nearest rival Daniil Medvedev.

In announcing the move, the ATP said: “Unilateral decisions of this nature [by Wimbledon]if not addressed, it sets a damaging precedent for the rest of the tour.

“Discrimination for individual tournaments is simply not feasible on a tour that operates in more than 30 countries.”

He added: “We are hopeful that further discussions with Wimbledon will lead to a result acceptable to all concerned.”

UK Culture Secretary Nadine Dorries wrote to ATP and WTA bosses earlier this week urging them not to “sanction the AELTC” and said it would send a “completely wrong message to both Putin and the people.” from Ukraine”.

Shortly before the decision was announced on Friday, British men’s number two Dan Evans told the BBC he did not agree to having his ranking points taken away.

“If we focus solely on tennis and not politics, there should be points for Wimbledon,” he said in a pre-tournament interview at the French Open.

Men’s ATP events include Queen’s and Eastbourne in the build-up to Wimbledon, and there are three WTA tournaments in Nottingham, Birmingham and Eastbourne.

Ranking Points are used to decide where a player is seeded and whether or not they can gain direct entry into a tournament.

Wimbledon bosses consulted with the UK government before announcing the decision to ban players, stating that it would be “unacceptable for the Russian regime to derive any benefit from the participation of Russian or Belarusian players” at this summer’s Grand Slam.

The Lawn Tennis Association later joined Wimbledon in banning players from national tournaments, but the stance has been criticized by a number of players.

Russian world number two Medvedev, also speaking at Roland Garros, said there were “a lot of mistakes” behind the decision.

The US Open champion added that he would accept the decision and had not considered taking legal action to reverse it.

Players from both countries have been allowed to compete on the tennis tour, including at this month’s French Open, but not under their national flags.

“We should play for ranking points at Wimbledon and it would be disappointing for me as a Brit if we don’t,” Evans said.

“I think most of the players think it’s not ideal that the other players can’t play, but there should still be points at Wimbledon. In my opinion, they’re just trying to protect the Russian players by letting them play.”

“There are a lot of other people who lose because of a very small minority of players who miss the tournament.”

Russia was previously barred from defending its Davis Cup and Billie Jean King Cup team titles after the country’s invasion of Ukraine, a war supported by Belarus.

The ATP and WTA have called off their combined event scheduled for October in Moscow.

The International Tennis Federation (ITF) has also canceled its events in the country.

Leave a Comment