Up to 8 killed in mass shooting at New York state supermarket: law enforcement source

A suspect is in custody, police said.

As many as eight people have died after a mass shooting at a supermarket in Buffalo, New York, a law enforcement official briefed on the incident confirmed to ABC News.

“Multiple people” were hit by gunfire at a Tops supermarket, the Buffalo Police Department said on social media as it urged people to avoid the area.

A suspect is in custody, police said. His condition was not immediately clear.

A man entered the supermarket shortly after 2:30 p.m. and fired a rifle, according to law enforcement.

The scene is no longer active and there are no other pending suspects, the official said.

New York Governor Kathy Hochul said on Twitter she is “closely monitoring” the shooting and that her office has offered assistance to local officials.

Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz also tweeted Saturday afternoon that he had been “warned of an active multiple shooting event” at the supermarket.

ABC News’ Matt Foster contributed to this report.

This is a developing story. Please check for updates.

Leave a Comment