Three Top Detectives Demoted Following Failed Investigation Into Caroline Crouch Murder

Three leading Greek detectives were DEMOTED following the failed investigation into the murder of Caroline Crouch for the ‘torture’ of an innocent man.

  • Three top detectives demoted after Caroline Crouch murder investigation
  • Homicide chief Konstantinos Hasiotis and his deputy were removed from their posts.
  • Department head Nikos Davarinos was also demoted following the investigation.

Three senior Greek detectives have been demoted following the botched investigation into Caroline Crouch’s murder amid claims an innocent man was tortured to extract a confession.

Giorgi Khardzeishvili, 36, from Georgia, says he was tied to a chair for four days and beaten while officers questioned him about the murder he knew nothing about.

Homicide chief Konstantinos Hasiotis, his deputy Theodoros Theodorou and head of the extortion department Nikos Davarinos were removed from their posts following the investigation.

Greek police took 37 days to arrest Babis Anagnostopoulos for the murder of his wife.

She had told police that she was murdered by a gang of Georgian or Albanian thieves who broke into her home and that the Greek government even offered a £250,000 reward to anyone who helped track down the killers.

When Mr. Khardzeishvili was arrested at the Greek border with Bulgaria on May 14 last year, he was presented as the prime suspect in the murder and paraded outside an Athens courthouse for press photographers.

Greek police took 37 days to arrest Babis Anagnostopoulos (pictured Monday) for the murder of his wife.

Speaking from Korydallos prison, the largest prison in Greece, Khardzeishvili told Georgian media: “They tied me up for four days and beat me while telling me to confess to the murder of this girl.

‘I didn’t know what was going on, I had never heard of this girl. They took turns hitting me really hard, my head was spinning and I had a concussion.

‘When one got tired, the other would start hitting me. All they said was ‘Tell us how you killed her, how you got into the house, how you got out of there.’

George Kalliakmanis, President of the East Attica Police Officers Union, said: “Caroline’s murder was a case that shocked Greek society due to its brutality. But for quite some time, Babis made a fool of us all; even the government, which offered a reward to catch the thieves.

“The investigation was not handled properly and there were a number of crucial errors.

“The evidence was not properly evaluated, which could have led the police to arrest Babis much sooner.”

Greek police took 37 days to arrest Babis Anagnostopoulos (pictured left) for the murder of his wife.

Greek police took 37 days to arrest Babis Anagnostopoulos (pictured left) for the murder of his wife.

Among the errors he highlighted was the failure of officers to realize that the memory cards had been removed from the CCTV cameras and that the windows had been tampered with from the inside.

Nor was Anagnostopoulos’ mobile phone taken away until a week after the murder.

Mr Kalliakmanis added that no third party fingerprints were found in the family home and that Anagnostopoulos was completely unharmed.

The Athens police said that Mr. Khardzeishvili was later charged with robbery. A spokesman added: ‘The foreigner was found trying to leave the country.

‘Evidence was found to have emerged against him for his involvement in a robbery case against an elderly couple, at their home in Pikermi.

‘For this reason he was transferred to the property crime department of the Attica security directorate, where he was arrested on an arrest warrant.

‘The arrested person was also examined by police officers from the department of crimes against life for the Glyka Nera case.

‘During his stay in detention, he requested and was examined by a doctor, who confirmed that he was in good health, while he did not request his transfer to a hospital.’


Leave a Comment