Strong second half sees Derry dominate at Christy Ring

SLIGO will be looking to regroup ahead of this Saturday’s game at home to Wicklow after their second loss of their Christy Ring campaign this afternoon.

Derry isitors made it two wins from two on their campaign with another high-scoring affair at Markievicz Park this afternoon.

Hosts Sligo, their well-known opponents, with the teams last meeting just a fortnight ago in the Allianz League Division 2B final, were outclassed by a strong and physical side who completely dominated the second half.

Padraig Mannion’s men managed just 3 points in the second period as Derry seized every opportunity in what was a much-improved 35 minutes for Dominic McKinley’s side.

The first half was much more even and there were only 2 points between them at interval, but Derry, buoyed by an increasingly strong breeze, made the most of it scoring 1-13 to win by a margin of fifteen points.

Freetaker Cormac O’Doherty, Deaghlan Foley, Odhran McKeever and Gerard Bradley were among the leaders for the visitors, who were drifting by a point as referee Caymon Flynn was about to signal halftime. However, there was late drama with McKeever finding Bradley, who fired into the net to send his team ahead 1-7 to 0-8 at half-time.

It was an eye for an eye in the opening stages, Richie Mullan taking Derry off the mark before Andy Kilcullen answered for the hosts via a free kick, while free-taker Gerard O’Kelly-Lynch added two more set balls when Sligo took the lead but it was short-lived, O’Doherty getting his first in 21 minutes when the sides were level at 0-4 apiece.

Two good scores from Thomas Cawley and captain Finnian Cawley had Sligo up by two, but Bradley and O’Doherty saw Derry respond on the other side.

O’Kelly-Lynch added another free kick on her fourth of the half with the excellent McKeever aiming from a tricky angle.

Derry then pounced with the opening goal of the game a bit against the course of the game, to give them the lead at half-time, 1-7 to 0-8 in front.

The second half went to the visitors despite Andy Kilcullen scoring first via free kick. Derry took full control and Michael Munnelly on 39 minutes scored Sligo’s only point for 23 minutes.

It was all Derry from here, Darragh McGilligan, Foley, John Mullan, Bradley and McKeever all scoring points.

The game was put further out of Sligo’s grasp when McKeever found the net for Derry’s second goal in the 58th minute, Derry leading 2-16 to 0-10.

The final ten minutes saw Richie Mullan, Bradley and Meehaul McGrath extend their lead as Derry ran out of all-round winners.

Sligo hope to regroup when they host Wicklow at home at Markievicz Park this Saturday in the third round.
SLIGO: J Gordon, N Kilcullen, M Hannify, K O’Kennedy, G Connolly, R McHugh, N Feehily, F Cawley (C) (0-1), M Munnelly (0-2), P Foley, GO’ Kelly -Lynch (0-4 3f), C Hannify, J McHugh (0-1), A Kilcullen (0-2 2f), T Cawley (0-1).

substitutes used; T O’Kelly-Lynch by F Cawley (52), E Comerford by J McHugh (52), K Gilmartin by A Kilcullen (59), R Forkan by C Hannify (63), F Connolly by R McHugh (65), E Rua McGowan for K O’Kennedy (b/s 68).

DERRY: O O’Doherty, C Hendry, M Craig, D McCloskey, M McGrath (0-1), C Kelly, P Kelly, C O’Doherty (0-5 4f ’65), D McGilligan (0-1) , J Mullan (0-1), F Bradley, R Mullan (0-2), D Foley (0-4), O McKeever (1-3), G Bradey (1-4).

substitutes used; E McGill for D McCloskey (h/w), R Mulholland for D McGilligan (59), B Laverty for F Bradley (63), M Lynch for P Kelly (63), T McHugh for J Mullan (65), LE Campnell for T McHugh (b/s 74).

REFEREE: C Flynn (Westmeath).

Leave a Comment