Death toll from Havana hotel explosion rises to 30

The death toll from an accidental explosion at a luxury hotel in central Havana rose to 30 on Sunday, authorities said, as firefighters continued to sift through the debris.

Twenty-four people were being treated in hospital, the Public Health Ministry said, after Friday’s powerful explosion believed to have been caused by a gas leak.

The hotel had been closed during renovation work, and many of the victims of the late-morning blast were construction workers or hotel employees preparing for its reopening, which was due next week.

The blast tore off much of the facade, blew out windows and destroyed cars parked outside the five-star hotel, known for hosting celebrities including Madonna, Beyoncé, Mick Jagger and Rihanna.

A 29-year-old tourist from Spain, who had been walking nearby, was among the fatalities that also included four children.

Officials from the United States, Canada, the European Union, China, Russia and Venezuela have sent messages of condolence.

cb/rd/dg/mlr/st

Originally Posted As Death Toll From Havana Hotel Explosion Rises To 30

Leave a Comment