AP source: Bauer’s suspension appeal to begin May 23

NEW YORK (AP) — Trevor Bauer’s arbitration appeal of his unprecedented two-year suspension under Major League Baseball’s domestic violence policy is scheduled to begin May 23, a person familiar with the matter told The Associated Press. audience.

The person spoke Friday on condition of anonymity because no date was announced.

The appeal will be heard by a three-person panel chaired by independent arbitrator Martin Scheinman. It will include a representative from MLB and the players’ union.

Bauer was suspended by commissioner Rob Manfred on April 29, a sanction that, if not changed, will cost the Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher just over $60 million of his three-year, $102 million contract. Bauer immediately said that he would challenge him.

A San Diego woman whom the pitcher had met through social media alleged that Bauer beat and sexually assaulted her last year. She later sought her out but was denied a restraining order. Los Angeles prosecutors said in February that there was insufficient evidence to prove the woman’s allegations beyond a reasonable doubt.

Bauer, who hasn’t played since the allegations surfaced last summer and MLB began investigating, has repeatedly said that everything that happened between the two was consensual.

Bauer also sued the woman in federal court, a move that came less than three months after prosecutors decided not to file criminal charges against her.

The lawsuit says “the harm to Mr. Bauer has been extreme” after the woman alleged that he strangled her unconscious, repeatedly beat her and engaged in nonconsensual anal sex with her during two sexual encounters last year.

The pitcher said the two had rough sex at her Pasadena home at her suggestion and followed guidelines they agreed upon beforehand. Each encounter ended with them joking around and her spending the night, he said.

Two Ohio women also accused him of sexual misconduct.

Bauer’s representatives have said the allegation of the first Ohio woman is “categorically false.” Bauer has said that he had a “casual and fully consensual sexual relationship between 2013 and 2018” with the other Ohio woman and that neither of her encounters “involved a single non-consensual act, let alone an illegal one.”

After winning his first Cy Young Award with the Cincinnati Reds in 2020, Bauer agreed to join his hometown Dodgers. He did not pitch after June 29 after being placed on administrative leave and went 8-2 with a 2.59 ERA in 17 appearances.

___

More AP MLB: https://apnews.com/hub/MLB and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

Leave a Comment